Sorry about the unannounced maintenance, but I wanted to get this update up. Today's update is a fully overhauled, integrated comment system on front page newsposts!
I know this wasn't an exactly needed or asked for update, but using Disqus has really been bothering me for a few reasons. I like to have control over what content is on my site and what it looks like, and with Disqus, I just don't have that freedom. I also don't like how it has to load from a seperate server, and sometimes even fail loading.
I know I've had to wipe comments a few times in the past, because of Disqus being domain specific, or forgetting the access details to the moderator account. This should be the very last time the comments will have to be wiped.
Creating a comment system from scratch wasn't exactly easy, but I think it was well worth the time spent.
- Custom comments better fit the look and feel of the site.
- Your Adventurer's Log profile picture will be used as your avatar.
- You use the same account you use for the rest of the site. If you're logged in, you can comment!
- Both your account name (linked to profile) and RSN (linked to calc) are available and clickable.
- Type your comments in plain text. Line breaks and new paragraphs will be preserved, and links will automatically become clickable.
The next update I have planned is an "options" tab in the UCP, where there will be a lot of options for almost every page. One of the planned options is to allow each user to customize the header color (see comment below) for their comments. This should give a degree of customization and feeling of "mine" to your comments.
I hope having an integrated comments system will increase the amount of user interaction. I love feedback! If you have any compliments, complaints, bugs to report, or feature requests, please comment below!
In other news:
- The sorting on the calc page has been made a bit better. The sort you're currently using is highlighted, so it's easier to see exactly how you have it sorted.
- Related to the sorting update, you now have the option to have animated sorting. This doesn't change anything but looks. If you don't like it, you can simply turn them off by clicking on the top of the sidebar, near the "Toggle Complete" button.
- All pages have had their CSS updated. This is to reduce style conflicts and redundancies. I also moved the icons to a different service, so they shouldn't fail to load nearly as often.
- Brightened up the green text to increase visibility. This color is likely to be adjusted again